[bksvol-discuss] Re: Italics

  • From: "Sandi Ryan" <sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 11:32:08 -0600

Hi Denise,

If it's italicized, just leave it.

Sandi

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Denise Wagner
  To: bksvol-discuss
  Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:26 AM
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Italics

  Hi all,

  I know thereâs been discussion lately on diary and journal entries and my
take away has been that if itâs intuitive, then leave it alone.

  My question is this:  I am a sighted reader.  When I read a passage where,
say, the main character has received a letter, that letter verbiage is
italicized to set it apart from the rest of the text.  This tells me this is
the letter.  How do I treat that?  Do I put in brackets before and after the
passage identifying the beginning and end?  Or do I assume the screen reader or
braille reader (the human) will be able to tell itâs the letter.

  I hope my question makes sense.

  Thanks,
  Denise