[bksvol-discuss] Re: Image Descriptions in Children's Books

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:37:47 -0400

Dear Susan,

I'm so lucky that you've offered to help. What you've been doing is just the kind of help I need. I'll be in touch with you, Courtney and Chella off list. With you to back me up, I'll feel much better about describing pictures and won't take so much time doing it. I think editorial double checking and blind reader inspection are invaluable!

Proofing, staying true to the text is easier for me. I can relax when I'm not inserting any of my own input, except sometimes to improve long and short synopses. Those are the fun books for me.

But, with your kind of help, and Evan's great scanning of these sometimes tricky-to-scan books, we may be able to make more completely accessible children's books available!!! With Cindy, Jamie, Valerie and others, our Booksharian kids have many more reading treats in store!!!

One more thing you and anyone interested might do is to browse the collection for books in need of picture description.

In the meantime I have well over 100 picture books for kids preschool through about 8th grade here from used book sales which aren't in the collection we can tackle.

poor Evan is on a trip. I can hear the roar when he catches up on his e-mail! With his opticon and messing with k1000 settings He has really worked on producing good scans of picture books with irregular margins and contrast problems. He's going to wonder if he should have kept his light under a bushel!

Always with Love on yet another productive day,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Susan" <slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>