[bksvol-discuss] Re: Image Descriptions in Children's Books

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:37:49 -0400

Dear Scott,

When I check in a book in which I've described the pictures, I mention it in the short synopsis hoping browsers will be attracted to the book seeing that feature as a plus. I write either, Pictures described, or, some pictures are described.

Are you suggesting that I mention in the comments something like, editing of descriptions would be appreciated, or (volunteer's name) has assisted in the editing and development of picture descriptions.?

I do skip pictures which show no more than has been covered in the text as suggested in the Bookshare workshop. I occasionally and reluctantly skip a picture I can't for the life of me figure out.

I thought my situation might introduce another area where blind readers can make an important contribution though there's nothing in the system at this time to recognize it. Since the descriptions are mostly for the benefit of blind readers, I want to know if mine are constructive or distressingly unimaginable to them. For example, some sighted describers concentrate on reporting the color of everything. A blind advisor might suggest they concentrate more on shapes objects and actions.

I have no axe to grind, I'm just suggesting possibilities for us to throw around.

Your comment that publishers will allow insertion of picture description has me dancing on the ceiling. I thought that permission might be years in coming! Will they allow insertion of page numbers and breaks, too?

Always with love,

Lissi
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Rains" <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>