[bksvol-discuss] Re: I am not happy.

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 00:20:55 -0400

I too am confused by this part of the news letter.

If I spend a lot of time validating a book, miss something, have the book go back to step 1 and the submitter fixes one little thing all my validating time gets me no credit. At least that is how it sounds to me.

I recently had to work out just such a situation with
Weight Watchers From Pantry to Plate.

Please honor the work validators do. We are so few compared to the number of submitters. Validating takes a great deal of time and patience.

E.

At 10:25 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
Dear Booksharian Friends,

I'm confused by the portion of the newsletter Mayrie cited.

Here is the part I don't understand.

If re-edits are uploaded by the submitter, either the submitter or the validator should write to us requesting that validation credits be transferred from the submitter to the appropriate validator. We will make the transfer accordingly.

These are some of my questions.

Is it meant that in making the transfer accordingly, a submittor will lose credit for the submission?

How can staff know which volunteer, other than physically scanning a book, did the most work to prepare it?

A submittor may not notice their book has been placed back on the download list. They may assume it is still being validated.

If the submittor makes the corrections, why would he or she ask the staff to credit the validator?

As it is now, the staff are the only ones who know the identities of the submittors and validators. Wouldn't it be more efficient to contact them directly?

Does this policy include books taken from the collection and reworked by a single party to improve their accuracy?

Who is to say who is best suited to make the corrections, especially if the validator doesn't know who submitted the book or the submittor doesn't know who validated?

What does the phrase appropriate validator mean? Can this be a second validator who undertakes to make the corrections the original validator overlooked?

If the submittor reuploads a book, why is the policy for the submittor or validator to write to the staff about it. If the submittor did the work, how would the validator even know to write to the staff?

Hold fors aren't always respected. What if a person not the submittor or validator takes the book and reuploads it?

Is Bookshare still going to reject books? Will books that would have been rejected now be replaced on the download page with, "hold for S/V?

This isn't meant as criticism. The policy appears to be complex and in need of clarification.

Any thoughts or cogent interpretations?

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>