[bksvol-discuss] Re: I am not happy.

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:27:59 -0700

Hi Caitlyn,

        I actually don't mind any of what is being suggested.  It all makes
good sense in most cases.  What I object to is a practice that I know goes
on.  There are some validators who download a book to validate it and upload
it without doing any work.  I have seen this happen with submissions of
mine.  I believe that in my case, some very lazy folks know that I
prevalidate my books and assume that there is no need for them to do
anything.  Easy credit for them!

        I want to make work easy for folks who validate my books.  But I am
human and make mistakes.  I want a validator to catch what I have missed.
That is ideal.  But if I can see that no work has been done on the book, I
sure don't want to fix errors so that the person who did nothing can get
credit for the validation.

        I'm not saying that anyone else should feel or act as I do.  I know
that the grand majority of validators, especially those who subscribe to
this mailing list, do a stellar job! I personally, will refrain from fixing
errors that a validator could and should fix.

        If the kinds of mistakes that you, and Sue, and E have mentioned are
the issue, it makes absolutely perfect sense to follow protocol. I love the
improved communication about books being worked on.  I'm happy to fix errors
in my books if they need my fixing.  I'm just not happy to do work so that
someone who has done absolutely nothing to validate a book gets credit for
that work.

        Perhaps the kind of thing that I have experienced doesn't happen
often and I just had the experience twice out of co-incidence.  I don't
know.  It just got under my skin to know with a certainty that no work was
done on my books, that errors were left in them (junk characters to remove
in both cases) and the book was uploaded to the administration queue for
addition to the bookshare collection, and then I got a note to fix the books
(which I did) and then someone else who had changed ABSOLUTELY nothing from
my submission would get credit for it.  Sorry about the seriously run-on
sentence. And sorry about the mini-rant.

        Have I clarified my position?

        I know that we do have a lot of very hard-working validators, and I
appreciate every single one of you!

        Mayrie