[bksvol-discuss] Re: How does one request a rescan?

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:03:12 -0800 (PST)

The good news is that there is a high-speed scanner at the Bookshare office,
that scans 80-100 pages a minute (depending on the size of the page), but the
bad news is that I have to despine the book, to detach all the pages from the
book's spine, in order to put the pages through the scanner.  This, in effect,
kills the book.  So if someone wants to send me a book (I'm not sure which book
is being discussed in this thread), I'd be happy to despine, scan, OCR and
submit the book to the download list, with or without 'HOLD FOR X' in the title.

We get several donations of books every week at the office. If the donation is
only a few books, I try to submit them quickly.  When the donation consists of
hundreds of books (like Judy's) or thousands of books (like someone who wants
to donate 3800 non-fiction books to us), it takes a LOT longer.

Carrie