[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fw: Re: new wish list requests

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:03:40 -0600

Hi Cindy,

BARD stands for the Braille and Audio Reading Service (BARD) of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS). smile. It's the acronym they're using for the new digital Talking Book service that's replacing the old cassette-based audio book service. The books are still read by a human narrator, but are distributed as specially encrypted and encoded mp3s that conform to DAISY standards.

Through BARD you can download the books yourself to run on players that comply with the new standards, or get the books delivered through the mail on a specially designed flash card that plugs into a digital player designed especially for the NLS patrons.

Judy s.

Cindy wrote:
I don't know what BARD is. I've added Earth Song, Fire Song and Rosehaven to
the fiction wish list. (reader reviews on amazon were pretty harsh for Fire and
Earth Song. I didn't read about Rosehaven.
I was trying to find out what was number one in the series, for those of you
who like to read series in order.There seem to be a total of 6 or 7 books in
the Medieval Song series; there is a trilogy and a quartet, as well as these
and  one other (Penwyth Curse). Bookshare has a book, Warrior's Song but it's
#4 of the Medieval Song Quartet.