[bksvol-discuss] Re: Footnotes!

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:31:24 -0500

Yes, leave the endnotes at the end and the footnotes at the bottom of the page. But I don't have to like it, do I? Back when I was reading print I really preferred footnotes. With a footnote all I had to do was to glance down the page and when I was through reading it I easily and quickly returned to where I left off. If I was going to read an endnote I had to go on a hunting trip. Then I had a different opinion when I started writing papers that had to be footnoted. That was back in the days of typewriters and actual paper to be composed on. Leaving just enough space and inserting those footnotes was a job that could only be accomplished in agony. I ever so much preferred endnotes if I was the writer. Nowadays, though, I don't like either. Anymore I use electronic devices to do my reading and if it is a Daisy player I can usually navigate to either a foot note or an endnote, but it is, again, a hunting trip and a lot of trouble. It is trouble finding the note and it is trouble to find my place again after I read it. Given the way I read now and given the way I would write now if I was writing footnoted material anymore, I would really prefer the note to appear right after the place that the note refers to. It could be placed in parentheses or brackets or there could be a comment added such as "beginning of note" or "end of note." That would make it so much easier. When I was sending books to RFBD to be recorded I specifically requested that if there were footnotes or endnotes that they be read in the place that they were cited in the text. They actually honored my request about half the time too. Oh well, I can't expect that everything will be done the easy way.
On 1/23/2017 7:19 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:

Hi all,

Just a matter of a technicality. What you're talking about are endnotes, not footnotes. Hate to be picky, but it helps when discussing this kind of thing. Footnotes are at the foot or bottom of pages. Endnotes are at the end of a chapter or book, all together. Nope, don't move endnotes, they're endnotes and supposed to be at the end. <smiling with twinkle>

Ann P.

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.