[bksvol-discuss] Re: Errors in books

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:54:10 -0800 (PST)

Yes, Christina, OCR errors definitely need to be corrected. The problem is that
many books have at least one error and without the print copy of the book and
some sight, a validator won't know if it is an OCR error or just a book error.
But the number 1 for the letter I is almost always an OCR error.

  A book I am scanning right now just used the word sooth for soothe. I have to
leave that as it is. A validator may change it unknowingly, but it's supposed
to be left the way it is in the print copy.  That was my original question in
wondering if [sic] should be added. If I were to quote this book I would be
required to add [sic] after the error to show the error was in the source and
not my own error.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - But I survived / Tadeusz Sobolewicz
Sign Language Products for Children including DVDs, Flash Cards, Books and
More!