[bksvol-discuss] Re: Errors in books

  • From: "Christina" <greensleeves1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 17:56:22 -0500

Oh, ok.  Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2007 5:54 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Errors in books

Yes, Christina, OCR errors definitely need to be corrected. The problem is that many books have at least one error and without the print copy of the book and some sight, a validator won't know if it is an OCR error or just a book error. But the number 1 for the letter I is almost always an OCR error.

A book I am scanning right now just used the word sooth for soothe. I have to leave that as it is. A validator may change it unknowingly, but it's supposed to be left the way it is in the print copy. That was my original question in wondering if [sic] should be added. If I were to quote this book I would be required to add [sic] after the error to show the error was in the source and not my own error.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - But I survived / Tadeusz Sobolewicz
Sign Language Products for Children including DVDs, Flash Cards, Books and More!