[bksvol-discuss] Re: Credit Suggestion

  • From: Andromache <andromakhe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 13:06:42 -1000

Yes, the symbols for the fractions do not show up well at all on a display. Neither do bullets.

Andromache

P.S. How do those with no Braille display do proofing? Set the screen reader to all punctuation? I prefer Braille, because I like tactile feedback and much prefer to see words than to be read to. Also helps to keep my spelling skills sharp. But I find that all punctuation is a very distracting way to read.

On 5/7/2010 5:35 AM, Debby Franson wrote:
Hi Jill and everyone!

Whenever I have submitted a cookbook, I have made sure all fractions are correct. I have wondered how accurate other Bookshare cookbooks were until joining this list when I have found that many volunteers take care to correct the scanos, since fractions are usually horrible for OCR to get right.

The first cookbook I downloaded years ago was "The I Hate to Cook" cookbook. The fractions were not written as 1/2 and 1/4 but the higher ASCII characters for those fractions, so, unless I was left' or right-arrowing over those fractions, Window-Eyes ignored them entirely, so I hope that people always use the 1/2 and 1/4 form of the fractions so they are read rather than ignored by synthetic speech.. I suspect those higher ASCII characters don't show up well on a braille display either. Am I right? Here they are to test:

¼ ½

Debby

At 09:46 PM 5/6/2010, Jill O'Connell wrote
I hope you sent your suggestion to the volunteer coordinator where it might possibly do some good. It is really disappointing to download a recipe book and find it virtually unreadable.