[bksvol-discuss] Classic menu- help for office 2007

  • From: Denise Thompson <deniset@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:21:49 -0800

Hi all
For those interested, here are a couple of different programs that restore the classic menu in 2007 and according to the reference it's expected to do the same in office 1010 when it comes out later this spring. The first one is the one I have and it does the trick. The ribbon is still there, but the first menu option is to use the classic menu. It's $14.95. It restores it for Word, Excell and Power Point.
http://www.obutilities.com
The second is one I don't know anything about. It says it restores the classic menu and includes the 2007 additional options within the classic view. It looks like you can purchase separate versions for each Office application or purchase the whole ball of wax for $79.95. Haven't tried this one so I can't speak to it. It sounds more sophisticated, but obviously a lot more money as well.
http://www.addintools.com
Both of these applications have trial versions so you can check both out and see what you think.
Denise

At 11:30 AM 1/25/2010, you wrote:
John, I'm glad you are able to handle the ribbon well. I tried a 60-day demo
of Office 2007 last year with JAWS 10. I found that it took me more
keystrokes to do things, and I didn't like their change from categories to
flags in Outlook. A purple flag means nothing to me compared to a category
for phone calls. Importing categories from 2003 did work, but adding them to
new items is cumbersome. I had to use work-arounds to get what I wanted, and
that made me slower and less effective at work. So I'm holding out for
Office 2010 where the ribbon is optional. I figure that if I buy 2007, I'm
telling Microsoft that I like and support their system, and I make it harder
on myself. I don't think I should have to change how I work and lose
efficiency because a designer somewhere thought that a ribbon would be way
cool. I just want to stay competitive and work and get things done quickly.

Monica Willyard
Check out my books and accessible book lists on Goodreads at
http://www.goodreads.com/profile/plumlipstick