[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Helpful Microsoft Office Resource

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:30:41 -0500

John, I'm glad you are able to handle the ribbon well. I tried a 60-day demo
of Office 2007 last year with JAWS 10. I found that it took me more
keystrokes to do things, and I didn't like their change from categories to
flags in Outlook. A purple flag means nothing to me compared to a category
for phone calls. Importing categories from 2003 did work, but adding them to
new items is cumbersome. I had to use work-arounds to get what I wanted, and
that made me slower and less effective at work. So I'm holding out for
Office 2010 where the ribbon is optional. I figure that if I buy 2007, I'm
telling Microsoft that I like and support their system, and I make it harder
on myself. I don't think I should have to change how I work and lose
efficiency because a designer somewhere thought that a ribbon would be way
cool. I just want to stay competitive and work and get things done quickly.

Monica Willyard
Check out my books and accessible book lists on Goodreads at
http://www.goodreads.com/profile/plumlipstick