[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare & PQ submission

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:31:00 -0400

A lot of the errors seen in the last batch of PQ books are coming from
a public test that is part of making sure that the PQ format is
converted to Braille and daisy correctly. Bookshare has to use a
format converter to make books compatible with both daisy and Braille,
and that can be a tricky process at first. Since the developers at
Bookshare can't replicate every situation we do when reading, they
give us books to play with to see how they work. Bookshare has been
releasing small amounts of PQ books to get feedback from people about
how the process is working on various reading devices. It's like doing
test launches before sending up a new and improved  space shuttle. Sue
Stevens gave some very good feedback awhile back about how the Braille
files display certain types of punctuation. That's the kind of thing
that Bookshare needs. They also need to know if you see things like
several words running together or have difficulties with accessing the
files on portable devices like the Icon, Book Port, or Stream. Giving
feedback with specific book titles will help them iron out the kinks
so that we'll be getting letter perfect books in PQ format in the
years to come.

Hmm. Do engineeers eat brownies? Maybe those are a key ingredient for
book conversion. I'll have to ask Jake. (grin)

--
Monica Willyard