[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare & PQ submission

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 21:00:41 -0400

I'm confused about the concern that Bookshare is becoming corporate. I
haven't seen any indication that Bookshare will be dismissing its
volunteers or restricting anyone from uploading books they've scanned.
Since the world contains literally millions of books, it's unlikely
that Bookshare can get publisher quality files for all of them. If
they do manage it, isn't having less work for people to do a good
thing? Isn't the point of having access to publisher quality books so
that we won't have to sit down and scan a book before getting to read
it? Right now it takes hours to scan and prepare a book to be read. To
me, having access to books I want to read without doing a scan means I
can spend my time doing other things like taking an extra class,
learning to decorate a cake, or spending more time with family and
friends. While I enjoy volunteering, it's also true that there are
lots of things I could do with my time if I didn't need to scan or
validate books I want to read.

As for existing books in the collection with descriptions of pictures,
why don't you all join together and make a list of those to send to
Bookshare so they can look at those books and make a decision on them
individually. I'm guessing you'd have somewhere around 150 to 200
books like this. I personally have only seen one where pictures are
described. The Bookshare staff are reasonable people, and they may see
your point after looking at the books. They'd need to see specific
books to understand your point though. Maybe they can make an
exception for a specific book while replacing books in the general
collection. If you talk to them about it, you may be able to work it
out.

--
Monica Willyard