[bksvol-discuss] Re: A bit of a complaint

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:50:10 -0400

Cindy, I think there may be a problem in that it's my understanding that we are not supposed to obtain scans from e-books in pdf format. It may be wise to get clarification from the Bookshare staff because I vaguely recall Gustavo telling us that the scan has to come from a print book and that e-books are not covered under the copyright law. Please understand that my memory isn't clear on this point, and this issue does raise a red flag with me enough to encourage you to talk to the staff. If I have gotten this wrong, please accept my apology.

Monica Willyard

Cindy Ray wrote:
The book I am validating was submitted by someone who did make himself known, and he talked about something to do with a PDF file and importing it to Freedom Import Printer and then to OB, I can't remember exactly how it read, but it ends up a fast scan. This person suggests that we use this method. I would say that there is nothing wrong with the method in itself, but these are truly raw scans that no one has bothered to look at while scanning at all. There are lots of errors in them that would be similar to those found if one actually scanned the book. Validators are making $2 less than scanners; therefore, people who scan ought to check their scans in some kind of at least cursory fashion to make sure some of the stuff in them is fixed, I think. At least I know it would be much appreciated.

Cindy Lou--Think Pink