[birdky]

  • From: "Mark & Tommie Gail Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:39:10 -0500

While recovering from my injuries, my birding is much reduced.  I have set
up the telescope in the kitchen to watch the Martin House, few Bluebird
Houses, the feeding area, and the backyard and surrounding area for birds
and their activities.

Nevertheless, I have discovered a few interesting things, not the least of
which is the degree to which the birds have their mouths open as a cooling
mechanism, I assume.

The Martin House is perhaps the most interesting location.  I realized that
my 12 room plastic house was wearing out and I replaced it with an 18 room
metal house in early April.  Within hours, the 2 birds on the power line in
from of the house had accepted the new house as evidenced by their entrance
to holes and prolonged presence at the house.  Strong winds on 11 April bent
the pole at the ground; the house slammed into the ground though it was
apparently damaged only slightly.  However, when I tried to salvage parts of
the house, I realized that the damage internally was significant and that
the house was essentially a total loss.  I replaced it as such with an
identical model and purchased a new pole.  Upon its erection, Martins
returned to my yard.

Since the re-erection of the Martin House, at least 5 adult Martin pairs
have returned to it as of today.  There are 2 - 3 young in at least 2 of the
houses and presumably at least 1 young in the 3 other homes.  I have enjoyed
watching the Martins feed their young, remove fecal droppings, and simply
fly around the house.  I hope for even more birds next year.

I have observed that my tree swallows have bred and left the area.
Bluebirds are now nesting in 2 of the 3 bluebird houses.  Astounding!  I
have enjoyed this observation a great deal because even though I like the
tree swallows, the houses were put up originally for bluebirds, not tree
swallows.

I have also heard at least 2 House Wrens in the neighborhood with one
singing occasionally in my yard.  Their nest appears to be elsewhere, but I
am really not completely certain.  At any rate, as native birds, they are
entirely welcome.

Other birds observed visually or vocally from the yard (I am in the yard;
the bird may be nearby or in the yard) include:  House Finch, American
Goldfinch, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle, Eastern Meadowlark,
Chipping Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Song Sparrow, House Sparrow, Eastern
Wood Peewee, Eastern Kingbird, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, Turkey
Vulture, Black Vulture, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, Common
Yellowthroat, Eastern Towhee, Blue Jay, American Crow, Northern Bobwhite and
many others.

I do not regret the commonness of this report, which is now concluded.

Mark Bennett
113 Iroquois Circle
Russellville, KY  42276

Logan County, Kentucky