[AZ-Observing] Re: What a weekend!!!

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:02:33 -0700 (MST)

>>  It is good to hear that forest closures are rare.  I guess I am thinking
>>  of the summer of Rodeo/Chedeski and hope that something like that doesn't
>>  happen to the Happy Jack area (or to any forest).

     Paradoxically, they closed the forests before the holidays that year,
unprecedented in my 30 years here, yet ended up with a half-million acre
fire started by two people who were in the forest illegally.  I wonder
if the current modest-restrictions-but-strong-policing angle that seems
to be being taken this year is a reaction to that.

>>  ...Buck Butte and saw direct evidence of
>>  fire on the hillside. Do you have any idea/memory of a fire in that
>>  spot?

     Not really.  Sometimes cahrred logs and such persist a very long
time since rotting is very slow.

\Brian