[AZ-Observing] Re: What a weekend!!!

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:58:33 -0700 (MST)

     I think the forest closing is an extreme measure, mainly when it
is very dry _and_ there's a big fire going so that they wouldn't be
able to handle anything else.  If Forest Service enforcement vehicle
activity is any indication, they seem to be taking the approach this
year of doing some fairly strict enforcement of the campfire/smoking/
chainsaw rules in hopes of avoiding closing things entirely.  Press
quotes indicate they don't have closure in the plans at the moment either.
So unless something breaks out (or someone just starts a fire), then
I think complete closure is unlikely.
     I note that the Saturday night 10/11 July shows the 30% Moon
rising at 1:03a.  Is four of the six hours between astronomical twilights
enough to make it worthwhile?  (he asked rhetorically)
     On the weather side, the monsoon moisture isn't far away, so it
will take only a slight shift in the flow pattern to bring it in.
Tonight it's still losing the battle with the trough to the north,
at least up here.

\Brian