[AZ-Observing] Re: What a weekend!!!

  • From: DBogan3220@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:55:50 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/2004 6:29:41 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Kimball,
Sure, anything is possible. But it is *likely* that the summer monsoon will
render the north country unsuitable during July and August.

In the case of no monsoon (has that ever happened?), it is also *likely*
that the forest service will close the area due to the extreme fire danger.
That is what happened two years ago, if I remember correctly.

Anyone (Brian?) know how often the forest has been closed in recent years?

We were afraid the forest would be closed before we could get one in this
summer. Luckily, on May 26th the Forest Service merely instituted the no
campfire rule, which seemed to help us by thinning the camping crowd a bit.

That said, I am up for a July outing if unusual conditions prevail.

Matt
    Summer of 1975 the monsoon was a bust. As I recall we had good observing
weather that year from April through Sept the monsoon lasted about three weeks
and I missed the whole thing while I was back in Mich. and the East Coast at
that time.  Never had weather that good since the following monsoon's in years
hence certainly made up for the Summer of 1975

    Clear Skies
    Dwight L Bogan

     PS That was the year Cygnus had a Super Nova, which had peaked in August
as I recall.