[AZ-Observing] Re: Tonight (Friday)

  • From: Frank Kraljic <fjkraljic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 01:25:00 -0700

Jeff,

I haven't been following this thread too closely, but to my knowledge
seeing and photometry are not related to each other.  Transparency
and photometry, yes, but not seeing.  For example, I've experienced
great seeing (in excess of 500x on Mars and Jupiter with sharp
results) under cirrus conditions, which should invalidate any
photometry data.  Although many on this list would quantify seeing
based on observable double star separations (i.e. sub-arcsecond,
arcsecond seeing), I personally value the seeing based on how high a
magnification I can put on a stellar or planetary object and attain a
fine airy disk or observe extreme fine detail on the planets (based
from experience).  In my opinion, the seeing is decent if one maxes
at 250x.  Once you get past 400x with sharp images (assuming one's
scope is also in proper collimation), then I would classify seeing as
good.  I'll admit this is a subjective approach to the topic.

Hope this may clarify any semantic differences when classifying the
night as great in terms of seeing, transparency, or both.  Perhaps
Brian can fill us in on the professional definitions and differences
of photometric, spectroscopic, etc. nights.

-FRANK