[AZ-Observing] Re: Tonight (Friday)

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:13:14 -0700

Well here is a synopsis of my tests or observations for tonight.

First was Castor the double, with the 14mm it was white and yellow and just
barley separated.  The Orion hand controller gave a separation of 1.8", but the
SAC double star database gives 2.2".  As I recall, and will have to check some
time, in my old 8" f6 Newtonian it was doing good to split 3" from backyard.
How good is that?

NGC2392, the Eskimo; the view was excellent with Steve's 12.5 Lanthanum.  The
view with his 9.5mm Lanthanum was even better as the round much brighter middle
was much better defined here.  The central star was visible all the time in
both eye pieces.

STF1149 in Canis Minor was another double and only the second time I have ever
observed something in this constellation.  With the 9.5mm Lanthanum it is a
nice light yellow and blue that is fairly close but still easy to split.

I looked at M42, which required a slew across the meridian and easily found it,
the Trapezium and 5 stars.

Another slew across the meridian to Saturn.  I checked out its satellites and
there were at least 3 and maybe 3 more.  I'll have to check.  In addition there
was a cloud band, Cassini's Division and I thought I saw a very small shadow of
the ball on the rings.

While observing Saturn I encountered another event which I have been wanting to
test.  The battery ran down and, at that time, the voltage meter read 9.5 volts.

Guess the moon will have to wait another night.

A satisfied aj