[AZ-Observing] Re: Tonight (Friday)

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 08:02:58 -0700

Hello Frank,

Not only is "Seeing" most subjective, it can vary considerably over a
short distance and time. One nice feature of the AutoStar CCD image
acquisition software is the ability to automatically reject images of
insufficient quality. I have watched that at times and sometimes
dozens of images will be rejected until a clear one comes through.
The same thing with high power observing. By continuously watching an
object at high power, there are usually moments of exceptional
clarity. Also, depending where in the sky you are looking can make a
great difference in how steady the seeing is.

As I have mentioned before, steadiness is the important criteria for
photometry. My main goal for making announcements is to let those who
have regular jobs and watched the 6 o'clock news tell of a stormy
night, that indeed it is not stormy and potentially very good night
to go out and observe. Photometry is a good method of determining the
general quality of the sky.

Last night (Friday) was not as good as Thursday night. It was not as
transparent nor as steady, at least near the zenith from my location.

The following data were taken around 8 PM MST both nights
              V Counts  B Counts U Counts  V SD     B SD      U SD        X
Thursday 99,844  104,660   22,020  0.0022  0.0011  0.0023  1.007
Friday      94,407    98,100   20,407  0.0255  0.0272  0.0477  1.020
Difference 5,437      6,569     1,613

X is the air mass
The counts are per second of a standard comparison star and have been
corrected for dead time and the sky readings subtracted.

Both transparency and steadiness were much better on Thursday night,
but Friday night was still very good for observing.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT