[AZ-Observing] Re: Thanksgiving Sky

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:11:21 -0700

I can only imagine I was seeing some sort of glare from Epsilon Ori.
This is despite taking steps in the last few months to reduce glare in
Violet.  This includes the truss tubes, which have been sandblasted and
anodized resulting in a very flat black surface.  The results of this
were very evident when viewing the companion to Rigel, which was quite
easy the same night, far less glare than I have had in the past.  But
not enough...

I was observing SW of Epsilon when I was seeing field brightness
variation, but I don't think I was as far out as the faint reflection
nebulae that show in Dean's photos or the blue DSS plates.  I have three
references that show the nebula, including "The Sky" which simply loads
the RNGC, and specifically states they make no promises to accuracy.  I
will have to go with the opinion of the NGC/IC project on this one, it
doesn't exist.

Simply a lesson and a caution, when you want to see something, you will.

This is why I did most of the H400 cold, observing and drawing each
object before reading the description or viewing the photo, looking at
each object with no preconceived views.

Andrew

Brian Skiff wrote:
>>>  The result was:  Nothing - there is no detectable NGC 1990....
>>>

>      Scientists have a long history of finding a good correlation,
> then foolishly taking more data just to be sure---and the correlation
> goes away!
>      I'm sure the new image will wait, and Harold Corwin won't be
> in the office to read his e-mail until Monday.
>

> \Brian

Andrew Cooper