[AZ-Observing] Re: Thanksgiving Sky

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:48:50 -0700 (MST)

>>  http://alice.as.arizona.edu/~ketelsen/epsOriave4cropped.jpg

     Thanks for posting this.  It looks reasonably convincing
to me, too.  I'll pass this along to Corwin to get his reaction.
The nebula in Dean's image is about the size of the plotted star-image
in either Uranometria or the Millenium atlas, whereas the thing
the 19th Century observers saw was at least 0.4 degrees across---
the big ameoba shown on various atlases---though d'Arrest (I think,
perhaps another) observed the field using an occulting bar in the
eyepiece to block the light of epsilon, and saw nothing.

\Brian