[AZ-Observing] Re: Fun at Vekol

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:32:00 -0700

My encounter with the border patrol the same morning was not quite as
exciting, but illustrates another facet of our relationship with the
other inhabitants of southern Arizona's nocturnal landscape...

Upon leaving Las Cienegas around 5:00am I quickly came upon a Border
Patrol checkpoint on highway 83.  As you would expect it was quiet at
that time in the morning and I was somewhat worried that this experience
would mirror a previous encounter when bored agents used my appearance
to break their boredom with a complete vehicle search.

This time went a little more smoothly, the answers are well rehearsed
"US Citizen, no passengers".  But to the question of  "Where are you
coming from?"  I truthfully answered I had been out in the NCA for the
night with a telescope.  At this point the line of questioning
changed...  "A couple nights ago there was a flash in the sky that lit
up the ground..."  I guess it should be no surprise that while manning a
checkpoint all night these guys would get to see some of the strange
things nature has to offer.  As an old hand of public presentation these
answers are also well rehearsed, I explained about a meteor flash and
that these were not that unusual and I had experienced several. I agreed
with the agent that these things can catch you by surprise and startle
anyone, if you know about them or not.  Satisfied with my answers,
immigration and astronomical he waved me through as another vehicle
pulled up.

Andrew

Andrew Cooper
http://www.siowl.com