[AZ-Observing] Re: Scope Color

  • From: "Workman, Brian \(AZ76\)" <brian.workman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:34:01 -0600

Black is probably best; both because it is less distracting, but also
for thermal reasons. If you really want to split hairs, for optimum
performance, ie the shortest time for the 'scope to reach thermal
equilibrium and minimize the tube currents, it doesn't matter so much
what color it is in visible light, what you want is the paint with the
highest emissivity you can find. Think of it this way, you want the tube
to be as "black" as possible in the thermal infrared region
(~10microns). This way the tube will radiate heat away as quickly as
possible.=20

OK somebody is going to say "but, white will reflect the heat", but
presumeably you are not observing during the day. Even a white scope
will eventually warm up over the day. What you want is to dump that
accumulated heat as rapidly as possible.=20