[AZ-Observing] Re: Pole star sightings [Was: Re: Re: Capella at noon

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 02:43:07 -0700

I have done an extensive amount of reading on this, starting as a kid in
the 1960s, when Dr. Gerald Hawkins' modern theories about lunar
alignments at Stonehenge, based on computer simulations, were a popular
subject.  There is strong physical evidence that some other temples in
Eqypt were re-modeled and re-aligned over time (hundreds of years) to
account for the shift due to the 26,000 year "wobble" or precession in
the Earth's axis.  The pole star sighting idea would involve the
so-called north-south aligned Grand Gallery, which was walled over as
the upper parts of the Great Pyramid were completed.  The postulated
Pole Star at the period in question was Alpha Draconis.  The idea that
it might have been used as a sighting for alignment is merely a theory.
In the Great Pyramid there are so-called ventilation shafts at various
points, which are >said< to also have had alignment with some stars in
historical periods.  However, the question of whether or not any of the
passages were ever actually used to sight star alignments is unproven.
There is no solid archeological evidence (such as tomb inscriptions or
the "Book of the Dead") which describes anything like that.  But the
ancient Egyptians >apparently< believed in much magic, such as the idea
that the "Ka" or "soul" of the Pharaoh's mummy could see right through
"magic" doorways (perhaps just painted on the stones).  So the existence
of a real unobstructed shaftway for mere mortals was unnecessary.....
And No, I don't believe in the pyramid inch crack distances foretelling
historic dates, either.....  Victorian Mummy flesh as a potion, anyone?
Gene Lucas
(17250)