[AZ-Observing] Mars

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 16:29:38 -0700

I finally was able to get up at 4 am to take a look at Mars. I was
using my new 6" Meade refractor this morning.

I was astounded at how poor the Phoenix sky was. Aside from Mars,
there were practically no stars visible. It was still dark and
"clear," however. Also, as I have experienced before, sometimes these
conditions of very poor transparency give rise to excellent
stability. This seemed to be the case this morning. I was easily able
to go to high power and see distinctive dark markings on Mars and a
fabulous polar cap. This was just to be a test for me and I was not
prepared to take any images. This is the first time I've seen such
detail on Mars and am excited about the fact Mars will be getting
even closer and larger over the next couple of months.

I'm headed to my mountain top (7.500') this weekend to give Mars a
try. I may end up trading stability for transparency, however.

Jeff
--
                                           Jeff Hopkins
                                            HPO SOFT