[AZ-Observing] Aperture vs. Dark Sky

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ Observing List" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 18:32:48 -0700

Neat article in the Aug 2003 S&T by Bill Ferris about Aperture vs. Dark
Sky. I'm going to check all those test galaxies on our sites. I agree
with the conclusion and always felt small scopes especially were truly
transformed by a good dark sky site.

Nobody ever explained to me properly I guess just what exactly is a
square arcsecond of light? Magnitudes per square arcsecond (MPSA) eludes
me as a measurement of darkness. Why is the surface brightness of light
polluted sky at 18th magnitude. How far can it go? What's daytime,
what's the limit? Stuff like that.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Public Events Coordinator