[AZ-Observing] Magnitude limit at Hovatter Antennas site

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 11:40:33 -0700

Howdy all;

Ten days ago I was at the Hovatter Road "Antennas" site all by myself and I
took the time to sketch the Little Dipper at 1:30 AM when I was very well
dark adapted.

The site is about 100 miles from central Phoenix and is not completely dark,
what site in Az iz???

But, the Milky Way is very bright and wide and I had given the night 7/10
for transparency and wanted to provide a numeric value for that.

The faintest star that I held steady was 6.35 magnitude (20 UMi) and with
averted vision I could see a star that turned out to be 6.43 magnitude (3
UMi).  Those values are from Sky Map Pro 10 and that means Tycho 2 data.

I will try this again in the future at a few other sites, I think it would
be interesting to gather some information about faintest mags seen at
several places.

Join in if you like;

Steve Coe