[AZ-Observing] Re: Magnitude limit at Hovatter Antennas site

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 13:48:43 -0700

Brian;

I will certainly give your listing a try.  I have no doubt that having =
the
Pole stars only up 35 to 45 degrees is limiting the magnitude that I =
could
see.

By "10 percent detectability" do you mean that you keep staring at the =
same
spot in the sky and these stars are seen for 10 percent of the =
time...or,
that you look away and then look back and 1 out 10 attempts is =
successful?

Because I drew to Little Dipper so that I could refer to it later, I am
certain that turning on and turning off the dim red flashlight effected =
the
results.  That could also be an interesting addition to the trial, once =
you
have established the faintest star held steady, then take some notes and =
see
if it is still visible and how long it takes to return after the light =
is
off.

Fun, fun, fun (quoting Brian Wilson)
Steve Coe