[AZ-Observing] Re: Illuminated Billboards

  • From: "Ken Sikes" <kengsikes@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:37:07 -0700

What is really odd about all of this when the Photo (Speed Trap) Radar was
in effect the lenses on the cameras near the airport were changed to red so
the airline pilots would not be blinded by the flashes, talk about
oxymoron's or better yet just plane morons

Ken Sikes

From: <beevo1@xxxxxxx>
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:46:34 -0500

My biggest question is why the light output can't be reduced after sundown?
I drive by the light dealer signs on the 202 SanTan and could read a
newspaper inside my car if Iweren't driving....

Beevo
K7BVO

---- Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

============What a coincidence. My Sky Lights blog post this Monday was on
exactly
this topic. See: http://heimhenge.com/skylights

Stan makes exactly the same point I did. Even if they were forced to go
to a static image, or one that rotates daily (changing at, say, 3 am so
NOT to distract drivers), they still put out a lot of light above the
horizontal ... and that's the real issue for astronomy. These signs
can't be "shielded" like a properly built conventional billboard with
downward-pointing top-mounted lights. Of course, very few conventional
billboards are constructed that way, as it's cheaper to replace bulbs
mounted at the bottom.

Dan Heim