[AZ-Observing] Re: Illuminated Billboards

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:21:29 -0700

That may be, Stan, but if they did, they would take away the main draw of an
illuminated sign, its ability to change messages (and hence clients) every 8
seconds. With an LED billboard, an advertiser can sell one location (and
thus one investment) to multiple clients, thus drastically increasing sign
revenues.  If that were the future ruling, the outdoor advertising companies
would have no advantage to put up an LED billboard over a standard one since
the costs of an LED billboard are much, much higher than a standard
billboard. I don't know the billboard rates here in Phoenix, but in Kansas
City, where I once lived, a standard panel board went for $48,000 a year on
the main highways. It's probably much more than that here.

Of course, the outdoor advertising morons might then install megawatts of
up-shooting metal halide lamps to light the stupid conventional signs and
cause even MORE light pollution off ground.

But this is kind of what I expect in a nation where American Idol is the
number one TV show.

Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, Arizona
Brilliant Sky Observatory