[AZ-Observing] Re: Illuminated Billboards

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:56:46 -0700

Beevo,

I've talked to an engineer at the company who made the sign pictured in
my blog. It's the sign at the Anthem Outlet Mall just west of I-17 (but
still in Phoenix city limits). He said they are programmed to sense when
ambient light levels drop, and reduce their brightness accordingly. From
his perspective it was all about saving energy costs (these signs use
enough power to run 4-5 homes) and increasing the lifetime of the LEDs
(which cost a LOT of $ to replace).

Unfortunately, it is possible for the sign owner to over-ride that
setting, and it seems that's what the Outlet Mall has done in this case.

Dan Heim