[AZ-Observing] Re: Herschel 400 Awards in Arizona

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:18:07 -0700

First I'd like to than everyone for waiting for me to return from work and read
all of the messages about the MM and related topics.  Second, after having read
all of them I don't consider any to be flames; instead they are interesting
topics that has been discussed in small
groups, but nothing as wide spread as this list.

What I'm going to attempt is to respond to all of the prior messages, in order
received, in this single message - and hope to do a good job.  So, here goes!1

Let me say that Steve Coe and I have discussed this and other MM related topics
in the past and have pretty much come to agree on the solutions or position.

One of the primary reasons for the MM is to encourage observing regardless of
how the objects are found - GoTo, DSC, analog setting circles, star charts or
memory.  Did I miss some way of locating objects during a MM?  The point is, we
all need something to help us find our way
around the night sky and the reality is electronics are here, albeit they are
in the minority at this time.  It isn't clear what would be gained by making
two classes as in the second Herschel 400 program.

The rules for the marathon indicate each object must be observed through the
main eye piece of the telescope because this is a visual observing process;
locating by silicon or carbon are permitted.  But you MUST observe through the
main eye piece of the telescope.

I recall one experience Joe Goss had at his first marathon with his LX 200 GoTo
and its coffeE grinder sound.  About 2 am the sound quickly stops and Joe
exclaims, "<expletive deleted> the batteries died on me!"  Of course, like any
prepared marathoner, he had spares.

Per Silvio's question and a later response by Steve and Brent; yes binoculars
are permitted.  The smallest binos were used by the late Curt Taylor in 1994
where he found 24 objects in 7X35's; but quit because he was so tired.  Not
only is a certificate possible but the plaque is
also possible as was demonstrated by Leon Knott in 1993 - third place.  In 2001
Brent Archinal found all 110 in 11X80's.

As \Brian indicated, in a MM there is time to stop and "smell the daises," so
to speak.  In fact there's time for me to rest up, there's time for me to
meander around the observing field and chat with observers regardless of
whether they are marathoning or not.

I've said in the past and I'll say it again .  .  . as long as people show up,
regardless of MM participation or not, I'll plan on scheduling a MM.

BTW, the view of M102 in the Pronto was excellent - as was the discussion!

Finally, these decisions were settled on long before I got the 14.5 inch Dob
along with the Digital Setting Circles.

I'm sure this long message will generate much discussion - that is the intent.

Blue skies,
aj
www.saguaroastro.org