[AZ-Observing] Re: Herschel 400 Awards in Arizona

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 1:20:03 -0500

I saw Joe's name on the list, and then just got it in my mind that he received
the certificate.  Apologies to Jack.  I'm too young to have senior moments,
aren't I?  With the addition of Jack's name, that brings SAC up to 12
certificate holders.

Regarding the "Herschel 400 marathon", it looks like late March is the right
time, as Bill Ferris points out.  It's interesting to plot only H400 objects in
a wide view in Megastar, and see just how few are in this zone.  It tells you
something about the "composition" of the sky.  It also tells you that late
March is proabably the most intersting time to be out observing all night,
which I've found to be true for the southern half of the sky as well.

As for EVAC, Steve Bell wrote me off-list to say that he technically got his
award with the Boise club, where he currently resides, but he completed the 400
on Arizona turf, and did the list while he was with EVAC.

Tom