[AZ-Observing] Re: Herschel 400 Awards in Arizona

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:35:29 -0500

Steve Coe wrote:
>I can speak about doing a Messier Marathon with binoculars,
>I have on my wall a certificate for doing 82 objects last year
>with my 8X42 binocs.  It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed myself
>thoroughly.  It would take a pair of binos with higher power
>and more aperture to do the entire 110.   I will guess that
>M 76 and a few others would be tough with binoculars, but a
>good chart would let you pinpoint their position.  Anyone do
>the entire list with 20X80s?

Brent Archinal completed the entire list with 11x80 binocs during the 2001
All-Arizona Messier Marathon.

>I also know that AJ has given out several certificates to GOTO
>telescope users, the rules are that you must operate your own
>telescope so that it points to the objects in the Messier list.
>If you are getting help from machine intelligence to do that,
>then so be it.

I like the "Big Tent" philosophy. The AAMM is a great star party. It kicks off
the warm weather observing season in Arizona, allows old observing friendships
to be renewed and new friendships made. All this is built around an all-night
observing orgy. The organizers do a great job of making everyone feel welcome.
Part of that is their open attitude with respect to GOTO.

Regards,

Bill Ferris
Flagstaff, AZ