[AZ-Observing] Re: [Fwd: Re: Re: Astronomy an unhealthy activity? NO! Light Pollution is Unhealthy!!]

  • From: brett watson <brett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:26:21 -0700

On Oct 11, 2005, at 4:11 PM, billferris@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Brian Skiff wrote:
>
>> There could well be other effects of funny sleep cycles and so on,
>> but that seems to vary greatly amongst individuals, from little
>> effect
>> to greatly debilitating physio/psychological problems (that would
>> probably
>> be there even without staying up late).
>>
> There are billions of people worldwide who suffer inconsistent or
> interrupted sleep cycles. They are called "new parents." ;o)
>
> I'm not aware of any research indicating that parents are less
> healthy or more prone to cancer than the rest of society. In any
> event, these folks would look at the sleep patterns of amateur
> astronomers with a large dollop of envy. I know I did :o)

there is a great book, which overall is only tangentially related to
this topic but it does have one chapter (#9, "the ingestion of
artificial light") related to "light" and it's affect on humans, and
even plant life.

the book title is Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television,
by Jerry Mander.  very thought provoking read, even if you aren't
willing to part with your television :)

-b