[AZ-Observing] Re: [Fwd: Re: Re: Astronomy an unhealthy activity? NO! Light Pollution is Unhealthy!!]

  • From: Roger Ceragioli <rogerc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:43:34 -0700

Hi, Howard.

I believe that the best place from which to begin serious research
regarding lighting and its negative effects at night would be the
website of the IDA (http://www.darksky.org/), since they are by no means
an extremist organisation.  Of course, we do need lights at night.  No
one argues for a return to total darkness.  But there is so much massive
waste of energy that the public would be astonished how much tax money
is poured down the drain literally lighting up the clouds and air.  It's
in the billions for sure.

There is growing research into issues of biology (animal and plant) and
exposure to light at night.  I think the IDA has a link to that issue.
Your Cereus cactus presents an interesting example.

Of course, if we actually succeeded in toning down the lights all at
once (as during the 70s oil crisis) there would be an economic impact
from the reduction of energy consumption.  But really, no one expects
any dramatic change.  The IDA and others are working for incremental
changes in the right direction.  And we must increasingly weigh
short-term economics against the health of the bio-sphere for the long
run.  There's no sense trying to save for retirement, start or grow a
business, etc., if the planet will be unable to sustain us in the future
because of our current profligate waste and destructiveness (global
warming, deforestation, and pollution), in my opinion.

Thanks for your comments and sharing your thoughts!

Cheers,
Roger