[AZ-Observing] Re: [Fwd: Re: Re: Astronomy an unhealthy activity? NO! Light Pollution is Unhealthy!!]

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:03:02 -0400

Howard C. Anderson wrote:
> I understand the President wants us all to save energy.  I wonder how
> much energy
> is used in lighting our streets so bright that I cannot tell whether my
> headlights are on?
>
> How much does it cost?  Does anyone know where they keep the light bill
> for Phoenix,
> Tempe, Scottsdale, Mesa, etc.?

The 2005-06 budget for the City of Tempe is here:

http://www.tempe.gov/budget/FY%2005-06/06_Line%20Item.pdf

On Page 16 of 418(!) are the electric bill numbers.  They show $4.2M, and $900K
of that is for street lighting.  The entire City of Tempe budget is $288M.

So lighting represents roughly 20% of the city's electric bill, and 0.3% of the
total budget.  You can see why it's a tough sell to pitch a wholesale change in
streetlighting using an argument based on budget alone.

A long time back, Tim Hunter gave a talk about the IDA to EVAC.  When I asked
him about the percentage of energy consumption due to lighting, the figure he
gave was 10%.

Tom