[AZ-Observing] Re: 2005 All Arizona Messier Marathon

  • From: Michael Wiles <mwiles@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:47:37 -0500

On a different note, has the AAMM adopted an official position regarding the
use of laser pointers this weekend?  My eight year old daughter has become the
first of my children to show an interest in astronomy and I intend to bring her
with me this weekend.  She's very excited about using her "own telescope"
(Orion 4.5" f/4 Starblast) to locate objects throughout the night with me.  I
intend to use my laser pointer here and there to direct her to different
objects to look at as we observe together.

I expect the use of the laser pointer to be minimal, but as we've learned over
the last few weeks, it only takes one overly dramatic airline pilot to turn a
laser pointer into the "death star".

Mike