[AZ-Observing] 2005 All Arizona Messier Marathon

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ray Farnsworth <jetrayfarms@xxxxxxxxx>, SAC Forum <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, EVAC <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:59:30 -0700

This is just a reminder that next weekend, Saturday, March 12th is the
Messier Marathon sponsored by SAC.  It is at the standard site past
Arizona City, AZ.  If you want more information, visit the SAC site at
http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/messier.htm where you will find all
information necessary for an enjoyable evening.

Here are some important details (also available on the SAC site) -

Directions to site:
      Coordinates are N 32 deg 27 min 45.2 sec, W 111 deg 43 min 53.2 sec,
      EL: 1800 ft (548.6 m)
      Take I-10 to exit 200, Sunland Gin Road, between Phoenix and
Tucson. From here it is about 29 miles to the site.
      Turn south after exiting the interstate. After about 15 miles the
road turns sharply to the west (right).
      After another four miles, the road will turn south (left) just
after the "Silverbell Estates" signs.
      Three miles past the signs, the road will veer off to the west
(right), and five miles more, the road will pass through a gate.
      Turn left immediately after the gate and continue for another 2/3
of a mile, driving over a fence. The site is to the right.  This
property is owned by Ran Farnsworth and we are very appreciative of his
permitting us its use.  Ray, if you get a chance to ready this e-mail,
thanks!

Solar information:
    If you plan on attending, it will be in your best interest to arrive
well before sunset.
  SATURDAY
    Sunset    6:37pm
    Twilight  7:55pm
    Moonset   9:19pm, 2.68 days old
  SUNDAY
    Twilight  5:18am
    Sunrise   6:36am

This year there's a possibility of observing 109 objects, with M30 being
the only one really not available.  It isn't clear how much the moon
will interfere with early setters.

I'm planning on a short meeting, just before sunset for final comments,
instructions and encouragement.

All are invited, even if you are not interested in marathoning.  Come
one, come all and let's have a good time observing.  We deserve a good
nights observing.

AJ (aj) Crayon
http://www.saguaroastro.org/