[AZ-Observing] Re: 2005 All Arizona Messier Marathon

  • From: Jeffmight@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 02:51:43 EST

In a message dated 3/7/2005 6:17:35 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The only  problem I foresee is someone taking an astrophoto or astroimage
of the  same area the laser is pointed.  How much will it interfere with
the  image?  I don't know.  Does it take only a fraction of a second, a
few seconds or is there no problem at all?  Any ideas, comments or
experience here?

I think the only way to truly find out is through experimentation. I doubt
if any important astrophotography is going on at the AAMM. If I was  seriously
imaging I would pick a location with a smaller number of attendees.  Vekol or
Sentinel.
So I'll attempt to capture a laser beam in an astrophoto. I'll make the
range anywhere from 1 to 30 seconds. (does anyone use a laser pointer at any
particular object more than 30 seconds?) Do you think the beam would be more
noticeable in a wide field or narrow? I would think wide but I'll try both. I'm

working out the bugs with my DSI anyway so I might as well have a little fun
with it in the process.   Jeff Vandecar