atw: Re: Word to Frame

  • From: Craig Hadden <craig_john_hadden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atw <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:41:15 +1100 (EST)

Christine wrote:
> I am trying to do things in Frame that I can do in
Word,
> and struggling to find the equivalent action in
Frame

For quite a good comparison of features and
terminology, see:
http://docsys.web.cern.ch/docsys/distribution/docs/FM-vs-Word2.pdf

Chapter 1 of the FrameMaker 6 User Guide is quite a
good Quick Tour. I assume your manual (for version 7)
doesn't have that?

> simple concepts like 'autocorrect', and 're-apply
styles' that are
> clearly different jargon in Frame

FrameMaker doesn't have an equivalent of Autocorrect,
and uses the noun "format" where Word uses "style".
(FrameMaker also uses the term "tag" to mean "style
name".)

To re-apply a style, you can click in or select the
relevant text and choose the style again from the
drop-down on the toolbar. (An asterisk next to a
paragraph "tag" (paragraph style name) in the toolbar
means that the style has "overrides" i.e. it's been
applied but then some additional formatting has been
applied to the paragraph.)

I also highly recommend:
http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/tempseries/pdfs/primer.pdf
but it's pretty heavy stuff, and at 60 pages, it's not
a quick read!

Lastly, you might find some useful bits of info from a
Word user's point of view in:

Hope that helps,
Craig

http://au.movies.yahoo.com