atw: Re: Word to Frame

  • From: "HALL Bill" <Bill.HALL@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:51:13 +1100

Adding to Peter Fagan's comments on Christine (Birtley-Kent)'s comments on =
Frame...

Where FrameMaker excels is not just as a replacement word processor, but in=
 its management of structure documentation using the full powers of SGML or=
 XML - something Word can't touch.

If you are responsible for large volumes of complex, repetitive documentati=
on and need to employ people who are not tool experts but know their subjec=
ts; or benefit from document automation, FrameMaker provides an excellent e=
nvironment. We have been using it for authoring and maintaining Defence tec=
hnical documentation since 1994/5 with essentially zero problems, and achie=
ve essentially double the productivity over using Word to produce similar d=
ocuments. (In some cases the client still wants the work done in Word - so =
long as they pay for it, we are happy to do so). Yes, the learning curve fo=
r this kind of application is long and steep, but if you do large volumes o=
f repetitive/complex/long documentation, your ROI should well justify the u=
p-front investment to learn to use and manage the structured environment. T=
here are also several training organisations such as Absolute Data Group an=
d Allette Systems who can help bring you up to speed. We've used both at va=
rious times, and they are still around.

Regards,

Bill Hall
Documentation Systems Analyst