atw: Re: Who Uses What and Legacy Document Conversion (Word > Frame)

  • From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Australian Technical Writers List <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:13:28 +1000

Melanie Kendell wrote,
>OpenOffice - Plays pretty well with Word docs (I've heard that only the
>most complicated sometimes need a bit of a fix up - personally I haven't
>needed to do any) and seems to be able to be flipped back and forward as
>needed. It has an XML-based file format so it is reasonably
>future-proofed. I haven't played with it that extensively but I was
>pleasantly surprised. Not sure what tools are out there to assist you to
>pump out different media formats though (HTML, online help, etc).

I've been working with OpenOffice.org (OOo) for over a year. Anyone
interested in my experiences with Word-to-OOo conversion might like to
check this page on my OOo website:
http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/writer/wconvert.htm

Re tools for other formats: OOo1.1 has built-in PDF export (but does not
yet produce bookmarks and clickable links), HTML export (messy, in a
completely different way from Word's messy output, but can be cleaned up
using a search-and-replace tool), and RTF export which could be pulled into
any help-authoring tool (that doesn't require Word) for online help
production. Lastly, OOo exports to Simplified DocBook, a possible way into
XML-based publishing.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
Taming OpenOffice.org Writer 1.1 http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/