atw: Re: The decreasingly meaningful authoring experience

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:33:22 +1000 (EST)

(Now probably way Off Topic.)

Steve of the Hudson wrote:

>The government does a good job of hiding the true unemployment figures.
>Whether Labour or Liberal, makes little difference. The official figures are
>about 1/2 to 1/3 of the true rate.

Oh too true.  They have the real figures (of course) and
refuse to release them.

I was really flabbergasted when I heard on 774 ABC
Melbourne (AKA 3LO) some time ago that the unemployment
figures are the result of telephone surveys, in which
Centrelink has a privately owned marketing company call a
supposedly random sample of unemployed people ("Clients"
in Centrelink parlance) on their books (actually the usual
suspects who are happy to answer phone surveys) to ask
their opinion of how the employment situation is going.

In other words, the figures for the past three or more
decades have been total works of fiction.

IMNSHO that's government gone mad.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael E. Granat
Qualified Good Tech Writer Dude
Fellowship Of The Ring Of Tech Writers, Yeah Baby!
T/as Write Ideas
E-mail: mailto:writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: <http://home.pacific.net.au/~megranat/>
Without Prejudice.