atw: Re: The decreasingly meaningful authoring experience

  • From: "Steve Hudson" <adslyy5g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:20:48 +1000

Steve> Please ... provide a case study that clearly shows the reverse of the
  above. Its all very easy to say "But its not true", now go ahead and prove
  it.

Brian> Steve has thrown down the gauntlet - for someone to show that
technological advance does not reduce costs or increase benefits.

We can see the first problem here. You have twisted the argument to suit
yourself.

Your case of whether the upgrade is worth it gets no argument from me at
all. Matter of fact, the reason I picked the tractor example is because it
has been demonstrated that the Chinese method is far cheaper and socially
better - but it means that the wealth is distributed into more hands which
is completely against the Western and capitalistic grains. Thus, the tractor
is less efficient overall, but allows the greater concentration of resources
upon a smaller set of recipients (those people who are paid).

However, the introduction of the tractor meant a decrease in jobs. If you
claim we have more medicos than before, I find that one a little hard to
accept. Ancient Rome had an entire medical suburb occupying about 1/7 of
Rome. Songs written in the 60s described drug stores on every corner and
quacks in every street. Doctors no longer work after hours, instead another
surgery is open. Home visits or after hours callouts are a rarity. So the
total dr hours worked each week are about the same as always or less.

A specific example I shall provide again, despite still waiting for one,
this time in the industry you have chosen.

An acquaintance of mine, Rowan Letters, was quite concerned about his
employment stability about 5 years ago. He is a pathologist, and at the time
had just completed his degree making him pathologically sound or whatever
:-) He had been working at a lab for a few years now, and had recently taken
on a full time position with them upon completion of his degree and his
wedding day was looming.

His lab was downsizing. They had just brought a new blood analyser. It now
meant that instead of a few guys constantly running tests on batches for
several days, the machine would process the blood and produce results in a
few hours. Marvellous stuff. But, it meant they no longer needed the
headcount.

Rowan negotiated a deal and went interstate with them to a smaller lab.
Several staff voluntarily left (retired). They downsized because of an
investment in technology.

This is the argument Brain, please provide a specific case study that shows
otherwise. Wazza - you are obviously watching with interest. How many people
are employed in the automotive industry compared to the 1950's and '60's you
old fossil? You know - the days when petrol stations had bowser attendants
and driveway servicing?

The government does a good job of hiding the true unemployment figures.
Whether Labour or Liberal, makes little difference. The official figures are
about 1/2 to 1/3 of the true rate.

Steve