atw: Re: Research on when customers need or want online help or manuals?

  • From: "Catherine" <catg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 11:16:30 -0800

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I’m faced with an organization that wants
to justify everything & because they haven’t invested in great Help, they
believe they don’t need it.

I found some great ROI information on the UK Cherryleaf site. Someone had done
a study showing how many less support calls you get if your Help really helps!

http://www.cherryleaf.com/consultancy-services-in-user-assistance-and-documentation/support-call-cost-reduction-calculator/

But management wants more! Yes, they consider the manuals as ‘extras’ and some
of the most foolish have bought into the notion that no matter how complex the
software, there is an ‘intuitive design’ that will make the user have a
‘Eureka’ moment… J Which isn’t true for complex systems…

When I wrote manuals for the oil and gas industry many years ago, my managers
said (publically) count on a Grade 9 reading level and (privately) the
attention span of a cocker spaniel. Intuitive design can only help somewhat in
the real human world of users.

So I’m still on the search for more actual data. I would love to survey my
users but in a financial systems atmosphere, so far I haven’t been allowed to
do that.

Sincerely,

Catherine Girczyc